Header

Header

Thursday, November 22, 2012

A Thanksgiving Prayer and a Cartoon from the Darter

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

The following is a scanned sample of a Thanksgiving Day prayer offered by a Navy chaplain. Scanned from the records of Hugh Siegel:


I wish I had more interesting info to offer my readers on this subject--maybe what a Thanksgiving meal aboard a submarine would be like or something to that effect--but Hugh neglected to save his dinner menu on that day. (Not to say he didn't keep others)

So for now, all I have to show is this amusing little cartoon drawing by one of Hugh's shipmates of the sailors enjoying chow time.  This is one of about ten photocopies of drawings by an unknown sailor, who was a USS Darter crewmember, and clearly had a sense of humor.  I will share the rest another day.

If his cartoons are any indication, life aboard a World War II submarine was very cramped and chaotic in those close quarters.


No comments:

Post a Comment