Header

Header

Thursday, August 17, 2017

Hughie speaks after 22 years

This is a recording of my grandfather's actual voice. I found it on an old analog tape dated 1971. This man passed away in 1995 when I was 10 years old, I couldn't even remember what he sounded like. He's talking on his ham radio and repeating his call sign.  "K2CP" was his radio call sign. "CQ" means "is anybody out there" and "seventy five" means he was transmitting on the 75 meter waveband. 

So awesome to hear him speak after all these years. From a time before I was born, in another decade and another century. Like a call from beyond.


 

This is the tape player I used. The tape was rescued from his house when my Grandmother passed, and sat in my closet for five years as I was trying to find equipment to play this severely outdated form of audio storage. I finally found a working model, it's a Sears portable Silvertone with a serial number dated 1962. I got it at a flea market for $10.

This is him inside his "radio shack" scanning the airwaves....as I remember him. In 1992.





and a younger version of him in 1970, around the time he made this recording:


1 comment: